Whether your home is short on space or you just converted that small office into a guest room, when dealing with a small bedroom, it’s important to know how to make the best of the hand you’re dealt. Below, Mary Lynn Stone, President of Century 21 New Millennium, tells us some top tips for creating space in small bedrooms.
1. Keep it well-lit. “Large windows lend natural light to open up your bedroom and make it feel more abundant,” says Stone. Keep your window treatments simple and fuss-free.
2. Maximize your storage. “From built-ins to hide-away drawers, being smart about your storage is key to opening up your small bedroom,” says Stone. Floor-to-ceiling built-ins not only look great, but also add an abundance of easy storage options. If you can’t afford to add built-ins, look for furniture with stow-away options, like beds with drawers underneath, or a headboard with built-in shelving.
3. Keep it simple. When decorating your small bedroom, keep things simple. Clean lines and light colors (like whites and grays) can help open up your room. Choose a few statement decorative pieces, opt-out of knickknacks and make sure to keep surfaces clutter-free.
4. Add optical illusions. Adding a mirrored wall will help reflect light and make your space appear larger. Can’t swing a wall of glass? Hanging clusters of mirrors will do the trick as well, Stone notes.
5. Customize. “Custom-built furniture can help optimize every nook and cranny, like a desk built to fit in a corner or a bed built to nestle under an eave,” suggests Stone.
About CENTURY 21® New Millennium CENTURY 21 New Millennium, www.c21nm.com, is a full service real estate brokerage company specializing in residential and luxury properties. In addition to the Capitol Hill location in Washington, D.C., the Virginia locations are in Alexandria, Centreville, Culpeper, Fredericksburg, Gainesville, Loudoun, McLean, Stafford, and Woodbridge. The Maryland offices are located in Annapolis, Columbia, La Plata, Lexington Park, Lusby, Prince Frederick and Waldorf. Its core services include: mortgage financing, investing, settlement, property management, property insurance, global relocation assistance, and commercial real estate.