In this tight economy, many homeowners are trying to cut corners, and while selling their homes, they may be trying to sell themselves instead of enlisting a real estate agent. But in actuality, having an agent is financially intelligent. Mary Lynn Stone, President of Century 21 New Millennium tells us why.
1. Market know-how: “This is one of the best things your agent can offer,” says Stone. A seasoned agent knows your market, which will help you price accordingly—perhaps the number one most important things you can do when selling your home.
2. MLS access: An agent has access to the Multiple Listing Service (MLS)—a database of current homes for sale. This access works both ways. An agent or broker can list your home on the MLS, and your property info will be instantly available to agents all across your area. Additionally, your agent can search in the MLS for potential buyers.
3. Details, details, details! “Your agent is going to be a big help in getting your home ready for sale, from the big things like major home improvements, down to the details, like pointing out housing-code or zoning violations,” Stone points out. Plus, an agent can help you fill out the paperwork you will need before you offer your home.
4. Less stress. Your agent can take on stressful or awkward tasks, like negotiating with buyers and their agents. This is extremely helpful if your buyer is demanding. “You can count on your agent ensure your sale goes smoothly, and if something does come up, they know when to call in a lawyer to ensure that the sale of your house proceeds smoothly,” notes Stone. Plus, often buyers are not comfortable viewing your home when you are in it, because they feel pressure and/or awkward about bringing up things they don’t like. An agent is the perfect go-between.
5. Word of mouth. Your agent has tons of connections, and can provide referrals to contractors, home inspectors and lawyers. “Most agents are always talking to other agents, which is a great resource when looking for buyers,” says Stone.
CENTURY 21 New Millennium. Smarter. Bolder. Faster. CENTURY 21 New Millennium, www.c21nm.com, is a full service real estate brokerage company specializing in residential and luxury properties. In addition to its newest Washington D.C. location, the Virginia locations are in Alexandria, Centreville, Culpeper, Fredericksburg, Gainesville, McLean, Stafford, and Woodbridge. The Maryland offices are located in Annapolis, Columbia, Dunkirk, La Plata, Lexington Park, Lusby and Waldorf. Its core services include: mortgage financing, investing, settlement services, property management, property insurance, global relocation assistance, and commercial real estate.